Monday, March 28, 2011

The People Behind the Bee

I finished a corner on my Bucky Bee rug, which was pretty exciting.  I decided that while I'm probably not able to spell out the "Bee Line - Townsend" in our logo, I'm brave enough to try to hook the letters BLT, so I drew those on my linen last night.  We'll see if I come back on here in exasperation next week.

Bucky Bee is a registered trademark, so I put the little R in the circle underneath him, but on the rug it just looks like Bucky threw up.  I can see the R on the back, but on the front?  Not so much.  I've been using a #7 cut, but I'm going to take the loops out of the R and go back with a #3 or #4 cut and see if that works a little better.

As Bucky progresses, I want to show you some of the people who put their hooks into him.  When Bee Line acquired Townsend Industries' fabric cutting equipment, we were all so pleased with what a great fit it is.  Townsend was a small, family-owned company in Altoona, Iowa.  Bee Line is a small, family-owned company in Bettendorf, Iowa.  Townsend had another line of products in their printing equipment, while Bee Line has another line of products in our trucking alignment equipment.  Out of our 50 or so employees, a number of them have a hand in getting the Bee Line Townsend products made and out the door to rug hookers from coast to coast.

Here they are - meet the Bee Line Townsend team!
Our own Shari, my Beehive cohort.


Travis, the king of buffing cassettes and running the big equipment.


Stephanie, who talks to all the blades while making them.


Rhonda, taking a break from cutter bodies
she's building for the Cream City Hook-In.


Steve, our VP of Operations and Head Beekeeper.

Rick, our Plant Manager who keeps the Beehive buzzing.
(He's a little competitive with his loops.)

Kerry, our Controller, who is another busy Beekeeper.

These are just some of the people who have had a hand in the making of Bucky.  More photos in the next couple of weeks of our other fledgling hookers and binders!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the meet and greet! There are too many times when an aspect of our rugs look like a bit of "puke". Don't despair. Your idea of cutting a narrower strip is a good one! I love how you've let everyone get their "hooks" in, so to speak. Very cool!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete