I found that I like hooked pumpkins better than real ones. They are easily managed and far less messy.
I started out with a couple of rows around the outline of my pumpkin, but I made a rookie mistake and used the brownish wool to do it. After I had those first two rows, I started filling in ridges with some of the orange wool, and I realized that if indeed I was going to make this an orange pumpkin, I would need to put some orange around the outside. I wish I would've followed Beth's example with the green pumpkin and hooked my ridges from the top to the bottom, but instead I did the outline first. Then I added that extra row of orange, so it was starting to resemble a sweet potato more than a pumpkin. I did the orange, but it took me a good row outside of my pattern.
I then filled in the areas between the ridges with the other wool in the kit. There were some fun colors in there, and I was really happy with my finished pumpkin: