I'm going to say this purse has been a learning experience. I did not get it done in time for my sister's birthday, but I did get the hooking done in time for New Years'. I still need to steam it and make the liner and get the handles on.
However - I made a rookie error. I didn't buy enough wool for the background! I had this really beautiful dark tobacco colored wool I bought from Charlotte at ATHA Biennial whose store name I can't remember to save my life, which is unfortunate because she was lovely and the wool is terrific. I got very lucky in that I had most of it hooked, so I filled in the background on the bottom with a black Dorr wool I had, but it was definitely a learning experience:
I am really happy with how the animals turned out - this is technically my third finished project, so while I know there is a lot of room for improvement, I know I can can do it. That's kind of a relief!
Here is a photo of it before it was steamed:
I'm always amazed by how much steaming does to improved the project. It's like magic! I'm counting on the iron to correct the err of my ways.
On to the liner - it's time to dust off my sewing machine and get 'er done.